Definitions: What is a Hostel, Youth Hostel or Backpackers?
Definitions: What is a Hostel, Youth Hostel, or Backpackers?
A Hostel is a house that provides cheap food and lodging for a specific group of people, such as backpackers, students, workers, or travelers.
Hostels provide budget oriented, sociable accommodation where guests can pay for a bed individually, usually a bunk bed, in a dormitory and share a bathroom, lounge and sometimes a kitchen. Rooms can be mixed or single-sex, private rooms may also be available. Hostels are generally cheaper for both the operator and the occupants; many hostels have long-term residents whom they employ as desk clerks or housekeeping staff in exchange for free accommodation.
The essence of a Hostel is to: provide a friendly, sociable, comfortable and cheap environment for travellers. Most guests will spend their time in the social areas of the hostels instead of their rooms.
Main Characteristics of a Hostel:
1. Hostels tend to be budget-oriented; rates are considerably lower, and many hostels have programs to share books, DVDs and other items.
2. For those who prefer an informal environment, hostels do not usually have the same level of formality as hotels.
3. For those who prefer to socialize with their fellow guests, hostels usually have more common areas and opportunities to socialize. The dormitory aspect of hostels also increases the social factor.
4. Hostels are generally self-catering.
5. Hostels are generally more "adventure travel" oriented than "leisure travel" oriented, thus attracting a younger, more venturesome crowd.
Hostels provide the perfect way to get to know a country at low cost and meet with many other people who share your attitude towards travelling.
What is a Dorm or Dormitory?
A dorm (short form for dormitory) is a room with several beds (often bunk-beds), all of which can be booked individually by different guests of a hostel.
It is also called a shared room, since you share the room with other guests. Dorms can vary from 4 to 20 or more beds, and some hostels have separate dorms for males and females, while others do not make a difference and offer mixed dorms.
Dormitories are always cheaper than private rooms in the same structure, and generally require people to be a bit more adaptable, since your room-mates may go to sleep or wake up earlier or later than you do, have different habits than you, or snore...
But dorms are often great fun, since it´s much easier to get to know fellow travellers if you share the room with them! After all, the loss in privacy is counterbalanced by many social advantages.
While dorms were the default option of most hostels years ago, most hostels now also offer private rooms, which usually have 2 to 4 beds, sometimes even with en-suite WC and shower. In this case, staying in a hostel is very similar to staying in a normal hotel, apart from all of the social chances you will have during communal moments (breakfast, evening, etc.).
Why stay at Geko Hostel & Pousada?
- Free Transfer from Paraty Bus Station
- Excursions & Tours in Paraty and the surroundings (Trindade, the bay islands, the Gold Road, Sugar Cane Liquor Distilleries and much more), information and booking services.
- Activities at the Hostels (dinners and parties)
- The best location in Paraty, in front of the beautiful Pontal Beach.
- Top Rating on Hostelworld & Hostelbookers, and not a Hostelling International Member.
- Best Value-for-Money in Paraty, Cheapest Deals, Offers, Discounts and Packages!
- Great Atmosphere for Backpackers, helful multilingual Staff,
- Beds starting at R$25 (US$ 14) - Private Rooms from R$75 (U$40) Geko Hostel offers Accomodation in Paraty from US$ 14.
Full Buffet Breakfast Included
FREE transfers from Paraty Bus Station
FREE WIFI. Internet Access in Lobby (R$3/hr).
Located Right in Front of the Beach. 200 meters from the Historic Center of Paraty.
Shared Rooms and Female Dorms all with ensuite Bathrooms.
Private Bedrooms with TV, Frigobar, Fan and ensuite Bathrooms.
Tourist Information, Excursions and Booking Services.
Bar every Evening. Soft drinks and Cold Beer 24 hours!
Every Night Delicious Meals from R$10.
Common Areas with TV, Internet, Music, Hammocks, Book Exchange.
Towels, Lockers, and a lot of fun!
Bar, Meals, Barbecues, Lockers, Free Wi-Fi, Cable TV in Lobby, and much much more... @GekoHostel Paraty
Our Hostel & Pousada is located in front of Pontal Beach, just a couple of blocks from Paraty Historical Center.
We have a lovely bar on the beach where we serve our breakfasts. Come relax on our sofas and hamac and enjoy a great view of the sunrise over the Paraty bay and the islands while you sip a hot coffee.
We are waiting for you. You are welcome to stay as long as you fancy, we are here waiting for you with an icy cold beer and a beachfront hamac!
At sunset, the bar of Geko Hostel Paraty is the best way to begin your night on the beach, sipping a capirinha, a cold beer and meeting fellow travelers and rest for a while after a day of excursions. Then you can walk to the bars on the other side of the canal or, if you are lucky, stay at the great parties that the hostel organises from time to time.
Click on the image to watch the Video of Geko Hostel & Pousada in Paraty
Welcome to Geko Hostel Paraty. Backpackers' best choice to saty on the beach in Paraty.
Cheap rooms and cool atmosphere in the beautiful Praia do Pontal.
Come to Geko Hostel, a Youth Hostel with International Standards and Tropical Atmosphere, and enjoy the best of Paraty!
Geko Hostel & Pousada offers cheap tourist packages for groups, families and others at budget prices.
Paraty Tourist Packages may include accommodation, meals, excursions, activities and transfer from Rio de Janeiro or São Paulo airports or downtown to the door of Geko Hostel.
Geko also provides Carnival packages, New Year's Eve Packages and FLIP Packages.
Shared dorms from US$16.1!
Come and enjoy Paraty in Geko, A blend of a Bed & Breakfast (Pousada), with the atmosphere and prices of a Youth Hostel. A great place to relax, socialise, meet new people and go partying!
Breakfast included and free transfer from the Paraty Bus Station!
Paraty features many artistic and cultural events, traditional celebrations, free live music, sport contests and more. There are events for anyone's tastes.
These are the main events in Paraty :
- FLIP - International Literary Festival
- Carnival of Paraty
- New Year's Eve - Réveillon
- Festival da Pinga (Cane Licquor Festival)
- Holy Week
- International Cinema Festival
- Bourbon Festival (Jazz & Blues)
- Paraty em Foco (Photography Festival)
Images of Paraty and the Hostel
Customer Comments > Customers Comments and Wall |
We appreciate customer's suggestions to keep us improving. We also would like to provide a space for travellers to leave comments, exchange tips, get in c... [Read +]